We are looking for a product-focused & driven Lead React Native engineer to join us and help deliver on our vision – becoming the most trustworthy online health company in the world.
Are you someone who likes to make the world a better place by helping others, and not content going to work designing yet another service that people don't really need?
Diet Doctor was founded by Andreas Eenfeldt (M.D.) in 2007, with the long-term goal of empowering people everywhere to dramatically improve their health. More than one billion people suffer from health issues related to type 2 diabetes and obesity, for which they're often personally blamed and rarely given the support they deserve. We aim to change that.
We’re fully funded by our members, so we don't need to show any ads, sell any products, or take any industry money. This also means that we have zero external investors, and are instead owned by the 30+ people who actually work here – and we offer all employees the possibility to buy a stake in the company regularly.
What have we achieved so far?
- Profitability for years, self-funded, no VC investment.
- The by far largest low-carb site and one of the largest health sites in the world.
- 12 million monthly visits (doubling our traffic year over year).
- About 70k paying members.
- Top Google ranking for our segment.
What you'll do
- Last year we released an iOS app to our users where they can browse more than 700 free and delicious low-carb and keto recipes and create customizable meal plans. There is a huge demand for an Android app. You will build the foundation and influence the technologies used for creating this. The app should have the same functionality and design language as the existing iOS app, but with a true native Android feel and user experience.
- You will be leading the Android app development and be part of deciding the roadmap for how we improve the app and product going forward.
- The company grows fast and with that comes new technical challenges. You will play an important role in helping us shape the future of our tech stack. We always try to improve our development and release processes, and we want you to be part of this and share your insights.
What's in it for you?
- Meaningful work: The opportunity to lead and grow the Android team (you'll be the first person), while spending the vast majority of your time building products that could dramatically improve the health of a billion people.
- Meaningful relationships: Be part of a massively driven, ambitious, and kind culture filled with people who want to do good in the world. We try to optimize happiness by keeping track of employee satisfaction (Officevibe), using a minimalist workflow process (Kanban), minimizing meetings, and allowing for long uninterrupted blocks of work-time via our dedicated Engineering Focus Time™ slots.
- Rapid growth: People at Diet Doctor love to grow. We'll give you lots of responsibility but also the support you need to do great things and learn fast. We urge you to keep growing and the company will happily pay for courses or conferences you want to attend.
- Great compensation: Market-level salary, overtime pay, and owning a meaningful part of the company through our employee stock offering (trust us: you have never heard of a better shares program).
Who you are
- Lots of passion for and experience with (5+ years) Android development using React Native. Kotlin or Java experience is a plus.
- Work with team members to define the purpose, scope, UX, design, and technical solutions for Android apps.
- You are excited about building simple and beautiful user experiences, and create stunning apps users love.
- Passion for crafting beautiful code, with a focus on readability, testability, and maintainability.
- Experience with interfacing with GraphQL, REST and other backend APIs, and writing automated tests for Android apps.
- Experience with Go and making server-side changes that affect the APIs your apps use is a plus.
- You can make art out of Canvas and build custom views when the framework is not enough, but also know when to stick with Android's design principles and interface guidelines.
- Be a key member of the wider team at DietDoctor and contribute to core technical discussions.
- Finally, you are someone who wants to do their part in truly making the world a better place.
This is a full-time position, working primarily from our beautiful and airy Swedish HQ here in Stockholm, at Vasagatan 40, just opposite the central station.
Do you currently live somewhere else but speak excellent English? For exceptional candidates we will help with your move here, finding a place to live and sponsor your visa.
Timing not perfect? Reach out anyway – we’ll wait for the right person :)